The summer has started and most of Collegium Musicum’s members have returned to their country to spend the summer there. The baton, desks, instruments and voices have a well-deserved rest till September. At the Annual General Meeting we looked back at our 2017/2018 season and all agreed that is has been a wonderful season again. Here follows a summary:
- The 1st rehearsal of the season was on September 13th and we were delighted to welcome some new members.
- The Christmas Concerts were in Fuengirola on December 17th and in Marbella on the 18th and featured the Danish harpist, Charlotte Nyborg, who played the Handel Harp Concerto. The programme was very varied with music from the 16th – 21st century and the audiences as well as the participants were delighted with the chosen music and we were really happy with the standard of performance.
- After the sold-out concert in The IPV Palace Hotel we enjoyed a delightful tapas and drinks reception with our friends and members of the audience.
- The Marbella concert was also very well attended and was greatly appreciated by the public.
- Rehearsals resumed after the Christmas break on January 9th and again we welcomed new members.
- On April 14th the Choir and our Chamber Orchestra gave a special concert in the Mormon Church where we rehearse. Several instrumentalists showed their talents in a miscellaneous programme that included a concerto for 2 Violins by Vivaldi, Faure’s Fantasia for Flute, specially orchestrated (by Delyth) and a variety of music for Choir and Piano and Orchestra. This concert was arranged to try to make up for the disappointment felt by many members that there was not to be a concert in Fuengirola at the end of May.
- We were engaged to sing at a wedding in Marbella, in the Iglesia de la Encarnación on May 19th.
- At the end of May, once again with Camerata Singers of Sotogrande, we gave 2 concerts: on the 27th in Guadiaro and the 29th in Marbella which was the annual Benefit Concert for Concordia. The programme of music from late 18th century Vienna included Salieri Requiem, a setting of the Te Deum by Michael Haydn and the Gloria from Mozart’s Coronation Mass. The 4 soloists were Louise Wayman, Natalie Sinnott, Alberto Sousa and Ryan Ross (who we welcomed for the second time). It was such a privilege and an absolute delight for us all to listen to Nicholas Harcourt-Smith, our guest Oboist, who thrilled the audiences with his virtuosity in a performance of Hummel’s Introduction, Theme & Variations. Angel San Bartolomé played a movement of Leopold Mozart’s Trumpet Concerto to begin the concerts.
COLLEGIUM SOCIAL EVENTS
- Our President, Delyth organised another Collegium Musicum Quiz Night in the Lizarrán Restaurant in November. The members can show off their knowledge and competitive edge.
- In October, our member Luisa Rosa kindly invited us to hold a celebration in her home in Guadalmina; we gathered for a lovely garden party to mark the 25th anniversary of Annemarie as our Musical Director. Members brought a dish from their home country which made it a very exciting buffet.
- On May 1st, we had a very special lunch party in Venta El Jinete, near La Cala. 73 friends gathered to celebrate with, our conductor Annemarie on her 70th birthday and a most enjoyable time was had by all.
We thank you all for your continued support and enthusiasm which enriches us all by our music-making activities and our friendship. We will see you all again on Tuesday, September 11th.